Spicy ‘One Chip Problem’ to be pulled from cabinets after Worcester teen’s loss of life

Native Information

The chip was one of many final issues Harris Wolobah, 14, ate earlier than he died, his household stated.

Steve LeBlanc / AP

The tortilla chip firm that challenged shoppers to eat a single chip dusted with two of the most well liked peppers on this planet is pulling the product from retail cabinets, the corporate stated Thursday, days after the household of a youngster stated he had died after consuming the chip.

“The Paqui One Chip Problem is meant for adults solely, with clear and distinguished labeling highlighting the chip is just not for youngsters” or different delicate teams, the corporate stated in a press release on its web site. “We’ve got seen a rise in teenagers and different people not heeding these warnings.”

Consequently, the corporate stated, it was working with retailers to take away the product from cabinets “out of an abundance of warning.”

Paqui additionally stated it could supply refunds for the product, which was priced at $9.99 for a single serving. Paqui is owned by Amplify Snack Manufacturers, a subsidiary of The Hershey Co.

The chip concerned within the problem was dusted with the Carolina Reaper and the Naga Viper peppers, two of the most well liked on this planet. The label on the coffin-shaped field dared clients to attend so long as doable earlier than consuming or ingesting something after consuming the chip, after which to publish their reactions on social media.

Many movies on-line confirmed individuals begging for water or shoveling ice cream or milk into their mouths after consuming the chip.

The chip was one of many final issues Harris Wolobah, 14, ate earlier than he died, his household stated. Lois Wolobah, his mom, stated her son’s college in Worcester, Massachusetts, referred to as Friday to inform her that he was sick and that she wanted to choose him up. When she arrived on the college, Harris was doubled over with abdomen pains. About two hours later, he was rushed to a hospital, the place he later died.

The reason for his loss of life was not instantly clear, however Lois Wolobah instructed The New York Instances that she believed the chip had one thing to do along with his loss of life.

A spokesperson for Paqui, Kim Metcalfe, stated that the corporate was “deeply saddened” by Harris’ loss of life and “categorical our condolences to the household.”

“We care about all of our shoppers and have made the choice to take away the product from cabinets,” Metcalfe stated in a press release to the Instances. “The product’s label clearly states it’s not for youngsters or anybody delicate to spicy meals or who has meals allergy symptoms, is pregnant or has underlying well being circumstances.”

The spokesperson emphasised that the removing of the chip was not a “recall” however reasonably a “voluntary retrieval.”

This text initially appeared in The New York Instances.


Posted

in

by