21-year-old suffers deadly medical emergency whereas mountaineering in New Hampshire’s White Mountains

Native Information

After a number of hours and numerous efforts to save lots of him, the younger Pennsylvania man died because of the unknown medical situation.

A younger Pennsylvania man died after struggling an unknown medical emergency in New Hampshire’s White Mountains on Friday night.

Jason Apreku, 21, of Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, “skilled an unknown medical emergency [and] collapsed” whereas mountaineering with associates up the Osgood Path to Mount Madison round 4:30 p.m., in keeping with New Hampshire Fish and Sport.

Apreku’s buddy known as 911 and carried out CPR, authorities stated. Passing hikers and Appalachian Mountain Membership personnel additionally tried to assist. Efforts to assist the person have any probability of survival continued for hours, the company added.

Fish and Sport officers stated they contacted the New Hampshire Military Nationwide Guard, which dispatched a helicopter from Harmony to Mt. Madison with a flight time of 35 minutes.

Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue group members additionally hiked up from Appalachia Parking Lot in Randolph simply in case the helicopter couldn’t entry the mountain ridge.

Officers reported that Mt. Washington, which is only some peaks away, had wind gusts as much as 90 mph with a chill of 29 levels Fahrenheit. Regardless of this wind concern, the commanding officer of the Nationwide Guard directed the helicopter crew to proceed so that each one efforts could possibly be made to rescue Apreku.

Authorities additionally tried to fly two conservation officers as much as the mountain ridge, however regardless of all these efforts, the Nationwide Guard helicopter crew and dialog officers have been unable to succeed in the hiker as a consequence of cloud cowl and extreme winds.

After a number of hours and numerous efforts to save lots of him, Apreku died because of the unknown medical situation, authorities stated.

All through the evening and into Saturday morning, rescue crews continued to hike to Apreku’s location, battling excessive wind and under freezing temperatures, to take away the physique from the path and get him to Madison Spring Hut the place a helicopter crew later lifted him off the mountain.

Authorities then took Apreku’s physique to a funeral dwelling in Berlin.